Confession time! I used to take the WORST care of my skin. Believe me, it wasn’t because I didn’t break out or cause my skin was clear and perfect. In fact, I had lots of issues with my skin. So what was the issue? I knew what I had to do and I just WASN’T DOING IT. Why do you ask?! The answer is embarrassing and so, so true.
I was lazy.
Yep, that’s it. I was so freakin lazy that I would rather sleep than take care of my skin! Then, one day I had a really bad break out. It was “my lady time” and I was totally eating chocolate and wine and being super dramatic about it all. My skin was a MESS. The last… LAST thing I wanted to do was take care of my skin!
We’ve all had these moments, but in this instant I decided to take matters into my own hands and not look back. It was time to practice what I preached. Sigh… doesn’t there always come a time in our lives where we realize we’ve been talking the talk and not walking the walk? This was me with my skin. Hands down.
I am a firm believer that in order to feel confident we have to start with basics like this. That if we start with the basics like hair, nails and especially our skin we are setting a foundation that allows us to soar with self-confidence. That’s why in the first week of my course “The Confident Closet” we start with the basics. Not just talking about what they are, but how to do them on a regular, routine basis. I live by this philosophy and have seen it change the lives of several friends, style blazers (aka my clients and HOH believers!), and anyone who will listen to me talk about it. The concept is simple and life changing.
When you feel confident in your clothes, who knows what you can accomplish? - Click to Tweet
Below are five of the most common skin habits that could be making your skin worse. We all do them and with a little bit of discipline and some steady reminders (from sweet ladies like myself) you can make the change. Your skin and overall confidence will thank you!
1) Touching your face. You probably don’t even realize you are doing it. The more you touch your face, the more dirt and grime you are essentially rubbing into your pores. Gross. Make sure your hands are clean when applying makeup or lotion as well.
2) Popping Pimples. I know it is BEYOND tempting to want to squeeze, touch, or pop that pimple. But trust me, it ends up looking worse, hurting more and can leave a scar. So even though you think you are remedying the situation you are actually just making it worse.
3) Not Applying Sunscreen – Over the years we have become so lazy about applying sunscreen. This does so much more then just preventing a burn. Wearing sunscreen can help block harmful rays that will do long term damage. I have learned to love the beach just as much under an umbrella or wearing sunscreen. I know… that statement totally just aged me.
4) Not removing makeup at the end of the day. Ummm. Ok, I KNOW this one is hard. In fact, even I have had my moments of “Forget it! I’m too tired!” Talk to any beauty expert and this is their number one piece of advice. They all say that sleeping in your makeup can break down collagen (causing fine lines), clog pores and promote acne.
5) You aren’t drinking enough water. Water really makes such a difference in so many parts of our body. This is one of those daily practices that if you can make it a habit you can see a change pretty quickly.
So there you have it! What is a daily practice you’ve been avoiding even though you KNOW it’s good for you? Let’s all try a small experiment. I want you to do this activity for one week. No pressure, just to see if you notice a change. Post your results below or on Facebook and Instagram using hastag #confidentcloset and tag @hohwithmelanie so I can help cheer you on!