Last week I woke up totally pooped. Between the "after vacation blues", staying up too late to work on new exciting Head Over Heels projects and chasing a 1 year old around all day, I was just having one of those mornings. You know, the kind where you are just totally EXHAUSTED. The picture above is when my pup Lola was having one of those mornings as well. Clearly, she gets it. I decided to sleep a few extra minutes before Zoe woke up. I usually take this time to get ready, but on this morning shut eye just seemed like the best plan. What I didn't realize in my half sleepy state, was that I had a fully packed day and not very much time to get ready for it. This, my friends is the turning point you want to throw on torn sweats and a dingy baseball cap and hope no one sees you. I do NOT want that to happen to you! Put the sweatpants down! I repeat PUT THE SWEATPANTS DOWN! Your whole day will be better if you feel good about yourself. Luckily, I now have tons of quick tips that will speed up your getting ready time. Now you can walk out the house feeling like a million bucks. Read now, thank me later (when you have time)!
Top 5 Ways to Feel Stylish and Put Together FAST
1) One and Done! Pick an item that is an outfit in itself. Instead of spending twenty minutes deciding which blouse to wear with that skirt (only to realize later you don't have shoes that match) choose an item like a maxi dress or jumper to wear on those time crunched mornings. This takes a lot of the guess work out of your morning routine. Summer is the best for this because you don't need lots of layers to keep warm. Take advantage and rock that new sundress!
2) Go for Gold. Don't have time to think about if that green and turquoise are clashing or working together? Take the guess work out and wear your gold jewelry. I'm a huge fan of gold bangles. They instantly complete and outfit and are easy to throw on. Some other favorite pieces are my chunky gold necklaces. Boom, you just accessorized like a boss.
3) Don't second guess yourself. One of the top reasons my clients say they spend too much time getting dressed in the morning is because they second guess their decisions! Girl, ain't nobody got time for that. Trust your gut and move on to the next task! A good way to ensure you don't regret your clothing decisions later is to pick outfits that are comfortable as well as fashionable.
4) Stick with the faves. It's not time to reinvent the wheel when you are strapped for time. If you have an outfit that you consider your "go to", now is the time to put it on and never look back. If you gravitate towards your favorite flat, I bet you'll feel the most comfortable in them. While I might tell you to think outside your comfort zone on mornings you have the time, today is not that day! Put on your favorite and get moving sister!
5) Plan ahead. So, I know how this sounds. You are thinking "But Melanie, how was I supposed to KNOW I was going to be running late?". Here's the thing. Find the time to plan for the mornings that you DON'T have the time. So take half an hour one night, and plan out 3 amazing outfits. I would even take a picture of yourself in them so you remember what you put on. Then, before the overslept panic mode sets in, you can get to putting on your new favorite outfit with ease. I call these my "Quick Outfits".
Because I understand this can be more easily described visually (and I really want this to help you) I decided to give you some examples. Check it out below.
Did this blog post get the "brain wheels" turning? Comment below and tell me about an outfit that seems perfect for those rushed mornings. I love to hear about your "aha" moments!
If you like what you learned in this post you are in for some serious luck! Once a month I'll be sharing tips like these to help you achieve quick chicness with ease. If you would like more specific stylish examples from my own closet you are ALSO in luck! Gosh, I really am doling out the luck today! Next week I'm going to be sharing with you the start of a new series called "One Look" two ways. And what's first up in this series? An outfit that meets all the criteria for a "quick outfit" like the ones we discussed in this post. Can't wait to show you!